Thursday, April 3, 2008

Trash to Treasure

I have had a few requests for pictures of the projects I have been working on. So I thought I would share. Viewer discretion advised: if you are into fancy home decor that only the highest price tag can afford you may not want to look.

I am probably the biggest cheapskate that I know of (OK I do know a few others but their names will go unmentioned) and my motto is how can I make something for less. So after moving into a new home with no extra money and old furniture I was in makeover overdrive. Not to mention some of the things that I previously had didn't match my new darker wood home. Example - I had a sofa table and two end tables that were in great shape but didn't match. I figured if I tried something and ruined it I wouldn't be too sad because I more than likely would have D.I.ed them anyway. So with multiple cans of black spray paint and a whole lot of hope I went to work and here are my results.


I included a before picture for your viewing pleasure....




What they look like now:


I sanded down the edges to get that very in shabby chic look. I love how they turned out and it was dirt cheap. Mission accomplished.

Then my next project surfaced as an old ugly brown (not the cute famous browns of today) 8 1/2 x 11 paper holder that Jon had used in an office ages ago which had been collecting dust in our garage for so long that I thought for sure he wouldn't even let me move it here. But I knew it had some potential and I was going to find out what it was. So with some more spray paint in hand and a bit of creative cutting and tweaking it became my 12x12 scrapbook paper holder. SOOOOOO much cuter than before.

Sorry, no before picture on this one.


I love it when my crazy ideas actually turn out.

I do have one more project that I will display but that will have to be the next post. For now it is the dreaded......to be continued.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Love your projects! You have been busy. I have those end tables and sofa tables too. They are the brown color, maybe I will redo them someday. Can't wait to see more!

Jolene said...

Where in the world did you come up with that before picture of your sofa table? You know I love your re-purposing! I hope you are going to show your famous book shelf to garage locker transformation next! I can't wait for the next installment!

Pam said...

Jolene the internet is an amazing thing. You can pretty much find anything on it even the same exact tables that I have had for 8yrs. I was amazed myself when I found them. The next installment before picture was a bit harder to find but alas I did find it on some scary ladies sellers list. I bet you can't wait now.