Saturday, April 19, 2008

Don't answer the phone

Note to self - when someone from the ward calls whom you don't know very well it means they want you to do something so ....don't answer the phone.


I mean I really already knew this. It happens time and time again. But I don't like to be rude especially after they have already called and left a message and this is the second call. I didn't know who this person was so I couldn't even prepare myself for what they might be wanting. And why do people have to be so vague on their messages just say what you want so I know if I want to call you back or answer your phone call. I hate the "this is so and so, give me a call, my number is" and then the hang up. Why should I call you back I don't know what you want. I can't purposefully call you back knowing I could be fed to the lions. No, if they really want something from me they need to tell me right then or more than likely they will have to make that second call


So then it is the debate when that second call comes to really answer it if indeed you are home. Which unfortunately I was. I have to say in my defense though that I did hesitate and there were at least three rings almost four which would have gone to the voice mail had I hesitated longer. So like a dumby I answer it and here is this sweet older ladies voice on the other end explaining to me that she had heard in my talk in church(which who answers the phone when the Bishop calls - of course that would be my DH apparently he doesn't know the phone rules although he got in trouble the last time he answered a Bishops call...go figure) that I sang with my sisters growing up. (This info. I gave in my talk has gotten me into more trouble than I ever imagined I have already been called out on it before so beware what you say in your talks but that could totally be another post)


Then she asked if I sang solos, which I quickly replied "yes I have BUT not so much anymore, I'm much more comfortable in a group or choir setting". So at this point I thought ok I think I am good. She must be in charge of the musical numbers for the ward. Which I am ok with I do enjoy a good song.


Then she asks about Jon and his singing abilities. Alright maybe she just wants ask us to join choir which she did plug for about 5 minutes. So ok phone call should be over.


Then she asks if I play an instrument. I really felt like there were already too many questions at this point but then I couldn't be rude and not answer so I said piano but not really all that much. Then she delved deeper into if I could play hymns. I said a few but with a lot of practice time. This is getting a bit too personal.


Then she asked if I can lead music. Yes I can lead (enough already). Ah ha she perks right up and says great could you lead in church this Sunday? I'm like what? This Sunday? Lead in RS? No, this would be in Sacrament meeting. Oh curses, this is no innocent call... what have I done.


I tell her well I have lead in RS and Primary I'm not sure if I have lead in Sacrament though(trying my best to dissuade her). Oh it's not any different she says. Uh ya it is! There are like a million people more. So of course I agree to do it because I am nice like that.


Then she gives me the songs. First two are easy I know them so no problem then she rattles off the last one and I am like what? I have never heard this song. Curses. So now I am stuck with not only getting to church on time, which for us is impossible, but I also have to look like I know what I am doing up in front of EVERYBODY.


I know this is nothing major and I am not going to die by doing it but it's definitely a lesson learned. Hence the note to self...next time someone from the ward calls that you don't know DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE.... (and of course I probably will).

5 comments:

Jolene said...

Pammie -

This is my only advice: Wear a shirt or dress that will not hike up embarrassingly when you lift your arms - you will end up lifting both arms. I also recommend practicing in the mirror tonight. I led one Sunday and then I did it at home in the mirror and I couldn't believe how retarded I must have looked so I practiced a few more times. I think I still looked retarded but Alan reminded me that no one really looks at the chorister anyway!

One Sassy Mama said...

I got suckered into leading at our stake RS leadership meeting (it was either that or play the piano--I opted for the leading). I didn't think it would be too big of a deal - I mean its just in the RS room with maybe 20 people right? WRONG - it ended up being in the chapel - because all of the auxillaries met (primary, rs and yw) - there were lots o ladies and bishopric members there. Luckily - I did wear my long sleeved corderoy jacket - so no flabbies were unduly revealed.
Good luck dearest.

Heather said...

I recently had a "most" embarrassing moment. I DO NOT, repeat DO NOT know how to conduct, read music or sing. In our expanded ward council Liz Cole volunteer's ME to lead the music. So stupid me goes up and says, ok. Liz laughed her head off the whole time I was up there. It was accapela too. Man, I had the sweatiest pitts after that!!!
I am sure you pulled it off just great! :)

Eric and Breanna Graham said...

Well Heather and I had a misunderstanding and said I would be leading the music in primary... And of course I DO NOT lead music either. I am not as nice as Heather so I said no way. I'm sure you did great! And I'm sure you looked beautiful doing it.

Deana & Ryan Bitter said...

Listen up Pam- if anyone can feel you pain, it's me. Did that calling for 9 months and didn't even get a t-shirt! :) Remember when I sat down after the 3rd verse? Ya, there were 4 verses in that song! I'm sure you were fabulous! And I too greatly hate when people leave messages like that -plus the interrogation!Pshhh!