Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Blankie

I haven't quite figured out the extreme attachment someone can get to one specific thing. What makes an item so appealing that you just can't live without it. I guess I've never really had anything that special to me to understand what it is like. Chase and Kiana never got attached to a binkie or the bottle or anything for that matter(well unless you consider my boobs but even after a few months that wasn't appealing to them anymore). So I didn't think anything of wrapping McKenna in a super soft pink blanket when she was born. It was cute, pink and velvety smooth and I thought she might like it to sleep or be cuddled up in.

It didn't take her long to get attached to that blanket and it probably didn't help matters that I used it as her sleeping blanket. Well as she grew instead of sucking on her thumb(which she tried) or sucking on a binkie(which I really wanted her to try) she began sucking on this pink blankie. Which I feel was a bit odd but who's to take something away from a crying baby.......EXACTLY!

Fast forward 3 years and that blankie is the most valuable thing we own in this house. If she doesn't have it before bed - look out! If she gets hurt the first thing she wants is that blankie(what ever happened to Mommy's kisses making it all better). If we are going somewhere and we might be gone for a while the rule is ALWAYS grab the blankie. The sad thing is this once beautiful pink blanket is not so beautiful and pink anymore. It doesn't matter how many times I have washed it the hours of sucking on it right after eating chocolate has really taken its toll (Did I say chocolate ...I meant green vegetables). It doesn't matter how dirty or stinky I think it is it is heaven to one little girl. Even to the point that the eyes roll back in her head when she gets to put it in her mouth. And I'm not talking a corner of it either it is a whole mouth full until I think she could gag herself. If you have seen it you know what I mean. Quite funny actually.

I have thought many times I definitely have to break her of this blankie thing someday. But how to go about it is a mystery to me. It is such a part of her life that I am afraid I would scar her if it just came up missing one day. So until she hands it over and says "Mom I don't need this anymore" (like that is ever going to happen) I guess the blankie will remain the most valuable thing in our house.

Do you see the pure joy in her eyes
.....it is all because she has her you-know-what.

So now if you ever see me carrying around something that looks like a pink blankie you will know why (and it has nothing to do with me not being the boss at my house) :)

4 comments:

One Sassy Mama said...

Pam - you're blog is sooo cute! Love the green and brown! AND - what the heck-I'm listening to David Cook sing Billie Jean - you are magical to me right now with your Idolness--and I mean that in a good way not a lazy way hehe.

K - the blankie saga - I feel your pain. My twins dragged their blankies around with them until kindergarten--and then they continued to sleep with them til they were 6 or 7ish -- they were falling apart - the batting was hanging out of them - holey and nasty smellin'. I finally told them that these blankies were so precious that we needed to put them in a special keepsake box to save them forever -- before they disinegrated. It worked. Now = I just hope they don't ask for the blankies back when they are 30 because I will have to make up some story about a fire in the storage room.

Heather said...

I can see the joy in those eyes! :) I never had to go through this with my kids. My neice though has a ragged little dog she LOVES. It may have to go to school with her someday! :) CUTE!!

Jolene said...

I have been party to the blankie. It really does make her so happy - you can not deny her that. I thought it was funny the other day when she had it at the gym and the girl tried to give you back a pink blankie just like it and you said "no, it is that brownish one over there."

I love Hansen's approach. Someday she will understand how precious it is and want to let you "preserve" it in a special place.

I love the blog makeover - it is the same one Courtney has on hers! You two are my style gurus!

Eric and Breanna Graham said...

OMG I totally understand! Emry and Summer both have blankets, that they CAN NOT function with out. They want to take it everywhere. I have convinced them to leave it in the car when we get out though. There's no sleeping with out it and your right, if they get hurt the first thing they ask for is their blanket! Have you had the experience of loosing it for a short time? Well.. I have and it's enough to make me want to jump off a cliff! I guess we'll just have to see how many years these blankets will hold up. BTW I'm going to link you if you don't mind.