Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Girls Camp

Alright, as promised, I am going to write about camp. I was thinking I would wait til I had pictures to post but that is just taking way to long since I took a disposable camera and haven't even finished using up all the film yet. I know no pictures = no fun ...please forgive. Although this could be a good thing.... saving you and me from seeing the embarrassment of what I looked like at camp.



I just have to say I don't care where you are in life, in age, what state, or ward ...girls camp is just plain amazing. I have been lucky in my life to go to camp all my growing up years and then a few times as a leader in YW and it never ceases to amaze me how much I learn and grow at each one.

This year was no exception the classes were so interesting and creative. Let me just name a few:
* Public Speaking (so scary to me)
* Drama (I'm so much better at being someone else)
* Hostessing (come to my parties now)
* Creative Writing - (writers note) I need work on this one because apparently the goal is to write in your journal so the person reading can feel, taste, touch, smell what is happening to you. I decided I write like the bad example she gave not the good, interesting one. So sorry to all my readers. I will try to do better.
* Building Confidence - (needed it)
* People in history - One can make a difference. (so there is still hope for me)
I know there were more but can't think of them right off hand. I just have to give a shout out to the teachers of these classes though they really did a fantastic job getting the girls involved and making it all so fun.

If I would have learned years ago what these girls are learning now (maybe I did I just wasn't paying attention) I think I could have been so much better. I was so proud of the girls in my ward especially because they were always the first ones to volunteer for things and make comments something I am not good at so I learned even from them.

Nights in my cabin were great too. We stayed up and played games and giggled til the wee hours. The funny thing was the girls who I stayed with were our sweet 2nd year beehives and being so sure they were going to be staying up way late and even pull all nighters to catch pranksters asked me if that would be alright (which of course I being the party girl was totally down with) fell asleep before us leaders almost every night. We would tease them all the next morning about how they were all talk. I think by the last night they thought they had to prove a point that they could really outlast us which wasn't entirely true we went to bed at the same time...although still late. The girls were so adorable and I loved, loved being with them.

I am proud to say I made the 5 mile hike and it really wasn't all that difficult I think that working out thing really payed off. At least we didn't come across the rattle snake on our hike like the 1st years did on theirs - yuck! Apparently after the chopping off of the head of the snake by one of our fearless priesthood men some of the girls thought it would be fun to hold the bloody, headless snake and pet it and take pictures with it. I didn't get to witness this but heard stories - double yuck!

Bishops night was amazing and I was blown away by the testimonies that these girls gave. I felt like I was with a bunch of seasoned women(do you like how I steered away from the word old - creative right?) the way they spoke and the depth of their feelings for the gospel surprised me.( I know I wasn't at their spiritual level when I was their age - great example of the strength of our youth and the church today) I had such a huge lump in my throat the whole time with tears streaming that I couldn't even think straight. Tissues were being passed left and right. I wanted to let the girls get a chance to bear their testimonies so I waited but after almost two hours went by of nonstop testimonies(I know because my watch beeped twice) Bishop got up and ended it. Other groups were done and getting a bit rowdy. I felt kind of sad that I didn't get a chance to stand up but I shouldn't ever have worried about that because Bishop got me on Sunday. One of those spur of the moment call you out of your seat from the pulpit kind of things. Three other girls went before me and did such a great job I felt so much pressure to seem older as their leader. Oh well, I said what I said and hope it made sense. I was glad to share with the girls how much I loved and admired them for being such great examples to me.

I just have to give another shout out to the cooks this time. Great food and so much of it. I mistakenly took snacks because isn't that what you do at camp eat snacks? Well, not at this one not only did they cook breakfast, lunch and dinner but there were scheduled snacks in between and if that wasn't enough we had a treat before bed each night. Warm cobbler and ice cream, hot chocolate w/extra splashes of yummy flavors (which by the way do not drink right before bedtime or you will have to get up at 6am and 4am in the mornings to go pee - brrrrr). I felt like I was at some kind of fancy resort. As conscious as I have tried to be with what I eat do you think I turned anything down? Nope, nada, not one little chip crumb...I ate it all and more. I don't eat that good or that much here at home when I cook so I was soaking(or should I say scarfing) it up.

I could go on about the perfect weather the beautiful scenery and all the other things we did but I won't bore you with the details. I still haven't mastered that creative writing thing just yet. I will just say that I have great memories, I have stronger bonds with the girls and the leaders and I hopefully am appreciated more at home now. Although I think they were having way more fun while I was away.

I feel so lucky to be working in YW and with these inspiring girls and I only hope I can teach them as much as they have already taught me.

And did I mention GIRLS CAMP WAS AWESOME!

9 comments:

Jolene said...

I sometimes think they should have Relief Society camp because the women have as much fun and learn as much and our testimonies grow as much as the girls at Young Women's camp. I love girl's camp! I'm glad that your new ward and stake did a good job for you.

One Sassy Mama said...

I am glad you had such a great time--your camp sounds fab. Those are some famous classes!

Jay goes in 2 weeks--she is soo excited. There theme is heroes--and the hero they picked is Emma Smith -- so everything in their camp will focus on her--pretty cool I think.

One Sassy Mama said...

P.S. Love the new look--your page header is fabulocity to me!

Shannon said...

WOW! Love the new layout. Did you make it? I am glad you had such a great time at girl's camp. Those girls are so lucky to have you as a leader. I like Jolene's idea about Relief Society camp.

Deana & Ryan Bitter said...

We've tried for the whole R.S. camp...ummm...certain people didn't go for it!
Sounds like you had a great time - that's because you're so amazing and fun!!

Heather said...

Sounds like such a fun week. I would have liked to attend the public speaking class! I love all your new pics and header.

Varney Family said...

Wow Pam You've been busy! I miss having you and Steph visit teach. It's so fun to see your pics and what's going on :)

Pancake said...

I LOVE girls camp!!! So much so I played too many pranks one year and got grounded.. my bad! Too bad I was the YWP at the time!

Beeswax said...

I want to go, too. Lucky you!